Find Your Local Mattress WarehouseSearch
If you find yourself wondering, “why do I toss and turn at night?” you may have learned of this unfortunate habit from waking up your partner. If not, your excessive movement during sleep may be jolting you awake at night and disturbing your own rest.
While reasons for tossing and turning differ depending on the person, there are many factors that could be influencing your restless sleep. If one of these factors resonate with you, there are simple steps to help combat the issue.
Why Do I Toss And Turn At Night?
It might sound strange, but you could be experiencing tossing and turning at night because of your choices during the day. Here are some possible factors affecting your sleep:
- Alcohol or Caffeine Consumption
- Stress or Anxiety
- Strenuous Exercise
- Avoiding Stiffness
Solutions For Excessive Movement During Sleep
If you believe you’re tossing and turning at night due to one of these factors, reduce your chances of excessive movement during sleep with these simple solutions.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine consumption — especially in excess and especially before bed.
- If your day is stressful, try to unwind before jumping into bed. Take a warm bath, meditate, light candles, play relaxing music, or do whatever is necessary to lower your cortisol levels. It can also help to make your room your oasis by keeping stress out of the bedroom. Study or do your work elsewhere in the house, and train your body and mind to feel relaxed when stepping into your room.
- Exercise is crucial for your health and proper sleep can even help you reach your weight loss goals. However, you should avoid an intense workout right before bed as it may take you longer to fall asleep.
- If you’re a stomach sleeper, placing a pillow beneath your pelvis will help better align your spine throughout the night and act as extra stability and support. This should help decrease back pain and reduce excessive movement.
Don’t Lose Sleep Over A Bad Mattress
Sleeping on a mattress that isn’t customized to fit your sleep preferences, needs, and body type can contribute to restless nights.
At Mattress Warehouse, we have a diverse selection of the highest quality mattresses on the market. With the help of our experienced salesmen and our diagnostic sleep system bedMatch™, we’ll help you find the perfect mattress to reduce excessive movement during sleep and ensure your mattress lends to a peaceful night’s sleep.Visit a local Mattress Warehouse near you to find your dream mattress today!